Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jeeze people, its just a wedding.

That title may be a tad misleading. Because clearly I'm going to be eyeballs deep in taffetta come October.

But people really do need to calm down about weddings. It's a celebration of love, and a formal commitment between two people, a declaration to the world what you already know in your hearts- that two people love each other. That they would die for the other, share the lives, fears, and dinners.

So when I see a moustachioed Bridezilla on TV treating her FH like garbage, screaming it's her day- I get annoyed. It's your day, and by YOUR day, I mean the collective you. It doesn't matter if one of your bridesmaids eyebrows aren't perfect, because guess what honey, you aren't perfect either. But some wackadoo DOES think you ARE perfect...''If I were you, I'd be worried that your walkalloverme groom shows up. Yousa cranky lady.

And I'm tired of certain righteous celebrities claiming that they will get married when "everyone" can. So, what you are saying is, you, as a perfectly perfect and rich couple who can afford the most lavish celebration of love, have the absolute right to get married, you won't? So you are just abusing your right to get or not to get married? That's cool. You'll probably get divorced soon after anyway. Meanwhile, a perfectly happy homosexual couple, who have been living together for years, and are just aching to gain the same legal rights that you are eligible for, sit at home wishing they had your opportunity.

The "institution" of marriage HAS, oddly enough, come a long way from the days of continuing lineage and trading daughters for cows. It's now a way where people can officially and legally share their lives, bank accounts, and healthcare. I also see it as an unbreakable contract between two people. "I love you, you love me, and we'll die together.....deal? deal. high five. (or kiss, whatever)."

So calm down, it's just a wedding. It's two people (or in my own case, a daddy, a mommy, and a tiny human) coming together as a family, one united front against the world.


and ps- i picked up my gown, and the entertainment is coming along nicely.thankyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment